Office Description

The Office of Professional Development blog is your resource for up to the minute news, advice, and information relating to your career and professional development.

Monday, March 11, 2013

The Rewards of Networking

One the most important skills a job finder should develop and hone is the skill of networking. The ability to connect with others and to build relationships is key to success.

In a recent email to the Office of Professional Development, a current law student shared his experiences with recent networking activities.

For the longest time, I had been holding off on networking, mostly because it is not the most natural thing for me to do. I've never really been comfortable doing it, but now I am getting really good at it. I started off by talking to someone I knew who offered to take me to a Columbus Trial Lawyers meeting. From there I set the goal of meeting 2 people. One of the individuals I met referred me to someone at the Public Defender's Office and from there I got a paid internship... which has been amazing. I had zero interest doing criminal law, but I wanted to be close to the courthouse to gain insight to how the court works.
Note how a referral led to a job. But his pursuit didn't end there.
During lunch one day, I wandered into a DUI case at the courthouse and was amazed at the process and the science behind it. To make a long story short, I mustered up the courage and called the NACDL's [National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers] DUI Committee Chair and asked if I could have 20 minutes to talk with him on the phone about his practice. We had a great conversation and he provided me with attorneys to call in Columbus. 
One the most important ways to connect with new people is to get others to introduce you or to recommend individuals to contact. Such referrals can lead to interesting connections and opportunities. 
Along the way I learned about a DUI Defense CLE [Continuing Legal Education] in Key West, so I decided to fly down there for 3 days last week. The CLE had national experts and was full of the big Ohio DUI lawyers. While there I was offered 2 law clerk positions and one of the big local DUI attorneys wants my resume. They mentioned that in 7 years I was the only law student to ever attend their CLE, not even one student from the University of Miami. 
Most professional associations welcome law students to events with open arms. Some offer travel assistance or free registration. Not only can you continue to network but you can learn even more about the profession.

As our dedicated student tells us, it just takes patience and initiative.
Back to the big picture, all of this happened within the course of 2 months. My networking confidence has increased 10 fold during this time frame, this is a product of simply setting a weekly goal of calling so many people. I've even gotten to the point where when I am in court doing arraignments I will go up to the cameramen and local photographers and introduce myself to them. My logic is that these guys are career and will be around for a long time and will be a good source of information down the road. The best advice I would give to students is to look at networking like a swimming pool... you can put your toe in to test the water, but eventually you should just jump in because once you do it is fine. The trouble I had the first 2 years was that instead of looking at networking like a swimming pool, I was looking at it like a volcano to be avoided.
If you want to learn how to be an effective networker, feel free to schedule an appointment to speak with the OPD.  We want to make sure you're ready to make similar inroads like our student above. 

No comments:

Post a Comment